Repeated use of deicing products on your concrete surfaces can potentially cause serious problems. Here are some helpful tips for the winter
- Concrete sidewalks and steps should be at least six months old, otherwise they can be severely damaged by deicing products.
- Products containing ammonium nitrate and ammonium sulfate should never be used since these will break down even the most durable masonry materials.
- Applying deicers near areas of vegetation can potentially harm plant life if strong enough concentrations build up in the soil
- To provide better traction use sand in combination with a deicer or by itself.
If you must use a deicing product, here are some suggestions to help speed melting and minimize damage to your concrete:
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for use and safety.
- Before applying, shovel and remove as much snow and ice as possible.
- Apply the product sparingly in the area of highest foot traffic.
- Apply the product away from the base of the building.
- Assist the melting process by shoveling and removing snow and slush, especially away from the building.
- In the spring, wash down sidewalks, building bases, and areas near vegetation to help disperse the residue of the product.
If you would like a free estimate or more information about concrete maintenance in Waterford, MI, and surrounding areas, call Mazza Company Concrete at (248) 625-3305 today!