Since winter is approaching, it is time to start preparing for winter maintenance of your concrete surfaces. Here are some helpful tips for the winter to take into consideration:
- Products containing ammonium nitrate and ammonium sulfate should never be used since these will break down even the most durable masonry materials.
- Concrete sidewalks and steps should be at least six months old, otherwise they can be severely damaged by deicing products.
- To provide better traction use sand in combination with a deicer or by itself.
- Applying deicers near areas of vegetation can potentially harm plant life if strong enough concentrations build up in the soil
Since repeated use of deicing products can cause damage, here are some suggestions to help speed melting and minimize damage to your concrete if you really must use them:
- Before applying, shovel and remove as much snow and ice as possible.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for use and safety.
- Apply the product away from the base of the building.
- Apply the product sparingly in the area of highest foot traffic.
- Assist the melting process by shoveling and removing snow and slush, especially away from the building.
- In the spring, wash down sidewalks, building bases, and areas near vegetation to help disperse the residue of the product.
If you would like a free estimate or more information about concrete maintenance in Rochester, MI, and surrounding areas, call Mazza Company Concrete at (248) 625-3305 today!