To help reduce potential damage caused over the course of the winter, here are some helpful tips to take into consideration.
- Always try to remove snow and ice as soon as possible from your concrete to avoid effects from freeze/thaw cycles.
- Since it has no adverse effect on concrete, use sand whenever possible instead of salt if you need traction on an icy concrete surface.
- If you plan on having concrete installed, request that a protective sealer to be added after curing. This will help reduce moisture and deicing salt penetration (should you ever use it) into the surface of your concrete.
- Avoid using any type of deicer the first winter after your concrete surface is installed.
- Since they can deteriorate concrete surfaces, never use deicers that contain ammonium sulfate or ammonium nitrate.
For more information about maintenance tips in Birmingham Michigan, please call Mazza Company Concrete at (248) 625-3305 today!